In this episode we discuss how to build resilience as we go on the journey of business and life.
We discuss what causes the challenges or knocks to our resilience, which may include:
- Not achieving a goal, such as sales or revenue goals
- Not achieving what we wanted in the time we wanted
- Internal thinking that doesn't support the view of resilience
- When our expectations of our vision don't match the reality of what happens
- Challenges with working and leading others, especially team members
We have to actually be in the "ring" in order to have the challenges that help us to build our resilience.
What can we do to build resilience?
- Reframing the experience into lessons that can be learned on the journey - adjusting the meaning that we attach to things.
- Resilient people are committed to their goals, Resetting the goals can help build back resilience.
- Focus on what we can contol
- Realise that life is impermanent and that challenges don't last forever
- Have empathy and compassion and self-nurture during times of challenge.
- Stopping negative self talk
- Personalisation - take responsibility for what is ours, but be ready to accept the part others played in the challenge.
- Have optimism of the future.
Julie shares a framework in which to reflect and improve:
- What was the event?
- What was my response?
- What was the result?
And use the answers to this to reverse engineer for next time.
- Use challenges as an opportunity to reframe the meaning into something more positive
- Stay committed to the course of life, don't give up
- Write down where you've been to see the growth you've had
- Focus on what you can control
- Realise the impermanence - its not for ever
- Do not catastrophise
- Have optimism for the future
- Nurture and have empathy for yourself during times of challenge.
Susan Kobasa & Martin Seligman https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/resilience.htm
Work with Julie
Julie is a Dental Practice Management Consultant, Coach at Julie Parker Practice Success.
Work with Shannyn
Shannyn Merlo is a business coach and consultant of Inspired Outcomes Consulting.
Book an online appointment
Check out this episode and more on our YouTube channel: