In today’s episode, Julie and Shannyn discuss what keeps us stuck doing the same thing, or repeating the same patterns that may not be helping us achieve the success we are seeking. Understanding is not enough, which is why we also unpack some suggestions to make progress.
- Julie shares a story about a practice that had gone through recent changes and some team members remained focused on the drawbacks of them. Julie highlights that if we can start to focus on benefits, those tough times wouldn’t seem so tough, and it can be enough to become unstuck.
- Shannyn shares insights into motivational theories related to moving towards pleasure or moving away from pain, and often we stay stuck when we either can’t see a pleasurable future or if the pain of change is greater than the pain of where we are now.
- We talk a little bit about the science of survival, and how our survival instincts have a part to play in why we stay stuck.
- Julie references her mentor Sandy Roth’s five questions in helping to get out of being stuck:
- Where have we been?
- Where are we now?
- Where are we going?
- How will we get there?
- What role will each one of us play to get there?
- We talk a little bit about learned helplessness, and the risks of disempowering team members, which can then contribute to a feeling of stuckness.
- Here is the reference to the famous experiment on learned helplessness by Martin Seligman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness#:~:text=In%20Seligman's%20hypothesis%2C%20the%20dogs,escape%20from%20the%20electrified%20grid.
- And we wrap it up with our top three ways to become “unstuck”
THANK YOU to the magnificent Gemma Carr for helping us with our rebranding images. If listeners and viewers are seeking a great photographer, contact Gemma via her website, Gemma Carr Photography - https://www.gemmacarr.com.au/
Check out this episode and more on our YouTube channel:
Contact either Shannyn or Julie anytime.
Inspired Outcomes Consulting
Phone: 0468 375 200
Julie Parker Practice Success
Phone: 0407 657 729
You can also contact us via our website.